Vintage!!

Monday, December 2, 2013

When I was about 12, my elderly grandmother gave me one of her blouses for Christmas, and it was one of those, "Awww, you really shouldn't have!" moments.

When she passed away, she had a closet of decades-old clothes I couldn't have cared less about.

Boy do I regret that now!


I think my grandmother had this dress.
(link)

My most recent fashion love is vintage clothing. I get my physique from that grandmother's side of the family, so I'm sure I could've found some real vintage gems to pull out of her collection. Vintage inspired is really fun too, but it's not quite the same. What I really love is seeing how other people have been able to take those vintage pieces and make some really cute outfits out of them. For example, this:


Now, I probably wouldn't put that big belt on it, and maybe not quite so a wild top, but the idea is fascinating.
(link)

Another thing I looove about vintage clothes is that they really knew how to fit women with curves. Higher waistlines and A-line skirts were abundant, and the feminine figure was really accented in the best possible ways.

On my most recent shopping trip (with some GREAT Black Friday deals), I was able to find a few fun vintage-inspired finds for pretty cheap! Check them out!


This total sexy-librarian Chiffon Tie Front Blouse was only $6 at Maurice's! I paired it with a military-inspired blazer (also from Maurice's, $10), Forever 21's skater skirt ($11), and a beautiful pair of tights from Lane Bryant ($8). Add a cute pair of heels and some pearls and BAM! A wonderful outfit for the workplace that could easily be taken out on the town by trading the skirt for a pair of dark skinnies.

I also found this dress at JCPenny for $30. Not much is needed to complete this retro look. I added a chunky gold necklace and red kitten heels and was ready to go.


As for certified vintage shopping, it's a bit harder for a bigger girl as most well-kept items are pretty slim. But from the little bit of concerted effort I've made so far, it seems like thrift stores are a good place to start. Other bloggers have said there's a ton of stuff on ebay too. Like I said, I'm kicking myself for not having more interest in my grandmother's clothes. But there's a whole world of hand-me-downs out there, and I've never backed down from a challenge, so I'm super excited to see what I can find!

No comments :

Post a Comment